Monday, November 10, 2008

Nursing


Well, I forgot that I have a blog again. How can I stop this vicious cycle of remembering and then forgetting (when it comes to blogs)?! Sometimes remembering things are fun... like when you remember you hid your favorite candy somewhere (haven't done that since I had siblings in the house), or found money in your wallet AFTER you left the vending machine thinking you should start to carry cash in your wallet... actually that's not fun, that's just remembering... anyways...

My life is so busy lately! Nursing school is SO much fun, but time consuming. I love having those, "AH HAH!" moments, and I have numerous "ah hah" moments every day because I have a body and I experience things that I learn in class!! I love it so much. However... when it comes to loving school, actual patient care (clinical) trumps all. There is just something beautiful about the combination of being a woman, seeing a dying/hurting person, knowing how to meet that need, meeting it, and then seeing their reaction that gives me an immense amount of joy. It makes the poop, the vomit, the pus, the sputum, the blood, and the urine smells all worth it.

Maybe I experience what custodians experience... and hair dressers... and nail ladies... and moms. We get to see people at their worst, identify their need, and make them healthy and beautiful.

And can I say... in a weird way, in some circumstances, people at their "worst" are actually at their most beautiful. For example(s)... when girls don't wear makeup. When the "tough one" cries. When God's people break over their sin. Or take it from Matthew 5...

3Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

No comments: