Thursday, July 30, 2009

Living Simply: Seasonal Friends vs. Lifelong Friends

Lately, I've been reading a book by Joanne Heim called "Living Simply." My friend Katie Murrey let me borrow it after a deep conversation we had when I visited her in Toccoa a few months ago. It's about choosing less in a world of more, and I love it so far. The chapters are entitled A Simple Life, A Simple Home, A Simple Family, A Simple Friendship, A Simple Sabbath, etc. Last night a read A Simple Friendship, and I just had to share a few things from it! Heim writes, "I think friends can be divided into two groups-- friends for a season and friends for a lifetime. Looking at all of the friends in my life, I'm sometimes surprised by which is which. Friends for a season are those close to us when our lives intersect at a certain point-- living in a certain neighborhood, going to the same schoool/college/church, sharing a similar interest. Friends for life are those friends we are connected to despite divergent interests, distance, or time. They are the kinds of friends with whom you can just pick up where you left off without any akwardness (I was delighted to find my name written in blue pen next to this sentence. This next sentence is something I needed to hear, because I tend to feel guilty when I start to drift away from my seasonal friends). Both kinds of friends are important, both kinds of friends can sharpen us, both kinds are okay and wonderful to have. I want my friends, of any kind, to sharpen me, who will challenge me and gently help me see those things in myself that should be changed, and who will cheer me on to continue to grow in Christ. I want friends who are walking down the same path, not pulling me in another direction (she's referring to Amos 3:3, which says, 'Can two walk together unless they have agreed' (being unequally yolked)). I want friends whom I aspire to be like. I find myself befriending women I admire and look up to." Then she names a few friends and their qualities she loves, and I wanted to do the same! I want to be an incredible wife like Katie, trusting in God and full of life like Lindsey, confident like Emily, a wise mother like Celia, honest and genuine like Jessica, optimistic like Kara, and sensitive to the Holy Spirit like Sandi. I love you all :) 

No comments: