Monday, September 29, 2008

Hermit Me

I used to live inside a shell,
But until now I couldn't tell.
Surroundings always stayed the same,
None to lose and none to gain.
I took no chance, buried my head,
Everything I knew was fed.
The food made me grow and grow
My shell kept getting tighter, though.
My shell became too tight and cracked 
I saw the light and turned my back.
The crack grew to the other side
I knew I could no longer hide.
I crawled into this strange new world
The old world that I knew unfurled.
Some things I knew were strengthened here
Some things I knew became unclear.
This new place that I found was more
It didn't feed me anymore.
At first I ate off others' plates
And soon realized my "moocher" state.
I wanted to find food on my own
But soon found that I'd be alone.
In solitude I found my strength
And took myself to brand new lengths.
Now I am a happy crab
Escaped the shell I used to have
I'll try some on to fit for size
Until I find one I call mine.
Although it fits me for today,
I'll always grow, so never stay.
For if you never eat you'll find
You'll surely shrivel up and die.

No comments: